San Roque Golf & Country Club
The San Roque Club, bordering the renowned Sotogrande estate, enjoys a natural, tranquil setting surrounded by a backdrop of hills and historic cork oak woods. Formerly the home of the Domecq sherry family, the centrepiece of the club is the mansion, now the Clubhouse. Host of the 1997 Ryder Cup Gala Dinner, the San Roque Club was used as a base for the European and USA teams, as evidenced by the photographs on the Clubhouse walls.
San Roque Club is home to the Old Course and New Course – two excellent and testing championship courses with their own unique design characteristics. Being 6,500m or thereabouts off whites, they are two of the most enjoyable yet challenging courses in the area for scratch golfers. The New tends to play easier for regular golfers though, despite its length.
See how the courses rank by difficulty with others in the Sotogrande area here.
San Roque Club is Ginger Beer Golf Travel’s base in Spain. My home and office is near the 17th hole on the Old, so I am well placed to source the best San Roque Club offers and advice for my clients.
San Roque Old Course
Gently undulating rather than outright hilly, the Old Course is the epitome of classy design understatement.
The course’s defence comes from both its length (6,508m off whites) and its natural cork oak surrounds. Stray a little off the fairway and you could find your only recovery shot is a low runner from beneath the cork oaks.
The back 9 is sprinkled with water hazards – lakes and fairway-crossing streams – culminating in a fantastic final hole. A dog leg left where too far left is wet. Walk off the 18th green with a four and you will have earned your beer.
Rather than being ‘tricked-up’, each hole presents its hazards to you from the tee; it’s up to you to avoid them.
Old Course is reserved for members’ play, but lunchtime visitor tee times are readily available.
Click here for further Old Course information, green fees and offers, including the chance to play Sotogrande’s ‘Finest’ courses including the Old and Valderrama at greatly reduced prices.
San Roque New Course
San Roque Club New Course is, in my opinion, Sotogrande’s hidden gem. It provides a magical combination of course pedigree and value for money. Where else in the region could you play a course that has hosted a European Tour event (Spanish Open 2006) for as little as €65, booking through Ginger Beer? Plus, it appears rarely to be busy, save for tournament or corporate days.
Don’t let the blandness of the course name deceive you, this course is no push-over and requires accuracy from the get-go. Although there are no severe doglegs to contend with, fairways are narrow, more so than the Old, bunkering is prevalent and copious cork oaks await errant shots.
Length offers no relief either – it’s 6,497m off whites. And here’s the kicker: when the wind blows, the orientation of the New Course seems often to present a crosswind challenge, whilst the fairways of the Old seem to align more with the prevailing winds.
My advice for playing the New – survive the tight first third of your round, then you can start to relax and enjoy the quality of the course and its natural surrounds.
On your way around, for a bit of fun try a mulligan from Seve’s tee on the par 3 4th hole.
It’s 217 yards over a ravine with big trouble front and left.
Click here for further New Course information, green fees and offers, including the chance to play Sotogrande’s ‘Top Value’ courses including the New, Alcaidesa, La Canada and Almenara. A diverse and varied mix including links style, hills, oaks, pines, lakes on courses by respected designers such as Robert Trent Jones Snr, Dave Thomas, Perry Dye and Seve Ballesteros.
Tips and more offers
Old and New Combo
- If you are looking to maximise the number of rounds you play on your golf vacation, then consider 36 holes at San Roque Club. Play the New in the morning, have a bite to eat for lunch in the elegant Clubhouse then take one of the later public times on the Old around 14.00 in the afternoon.
- Each course is a treat to play and great savings can be had when booking both Old and New courses for play in the same week. You don’t have to play them the same day.
- Offer includes 1 buggy per 2 players for each round.
- Offer used to apply to 4 balls only. Now, it’s open to any number of golfers.
See the ‘Old and New Combo’ offers here.
Green Fee + Buggy
- Both courses are pleasantly walkable, so don’t think it’s automatically necessary to request a buggy at the time of booking. It’s €44 to rent a buggy for 18 holes. But my advice is to take advantage of the offers which include a buggy.
- The New is such good value for money anyway at the €65 – €75 green fee price point (prices vary according to season). But you can increase value further by taking advantage of Green Fee + Buggy and Twilight offers. Rates are similar but buggies are included in the price.
- There’s a Green Fee + Buggy offer for the Old Course too, representing significant savings on the normal green fee + buggy rate.
See the ‘Green Fee + Buggy’ offers here.
New Course Twilight
- Enjoy great rates for play on the New Course with a buggy included.
- Valid all year for the same price.
- Available after 15:00 in Spring, 16:00 in Summer and 14:00 in Autumn.
Take a look at the ‘New Course Twilight’ offers here.
San Roque + Alcaidesa 2 Ball Combo
- Combine golf at San Roque Club with rounds at Alcaidesa.
Just 5 minutes’ drive apart these 2 resorts both offer 2 great courses, a relaxing, well-equipped clubhouse with bar and restaurant, together with on-site practice range, chipping area and putting green.
- Great savings are available in the golfing low season when you combine play at both these venues. Buggy included too.
Take a look at the ‘San Roque + Alcaidesa 2 Ball Combo’ offers here.
Stay and Play
- Lastly, why not base yourself at San Roque Club for your golf vacation and take advantage of our fantastic ‘stay & play’ packages?
Ginger Beer can offer you exclusive 5* star villa luxury accommodation at Casa Roble, San Roque Club.
Perfectly suited for a group of up to 8 golfers (though it can take up to 12).
Read about our ‘Stay & Play’ packages here.
Golf Tuition – looking to brush up on your game?
Through a brand new arrangement Ginger Beer Golf offers you the opportunity to enjoy tuition with Garry Corkish (resident APGA teaching professional at San Roque Club).
Fastrack intensive tuition golf week
Includes a 9 hole playing lesson every day on San Roque New Course, covering decision-making and course management with the pro Garry Corkish (resident APGA teaching professional at San Roque Club).
See your enjoyment go up and your handicap come down.
5 hours a day for 5 days – immediately improve your game and reduce your handicap.
Learn how to:
- Drive the ball longer and hit more fairways
- Avoid fat and topped fairway woods
- Make the right club choice every time into greens
- Achieve aiming correctly 100% on every shot
- Get up and down from fringe 7 out of 10 times – PGA tour standard
- Get spin on pitch shots
- Avoid making three putts
- Read greens like a pro
- Get out of the bunker every time
- Plus 9 holes playing with the pro from 4 pm each day on San Roque New Course
(Buggies not included)
Four players in each tuition group
Contact us to arrange a date and book your place with Garry.
9 hole ‘playing lesson’
The package includes:
- 1 lesson at the academy for 1 hour
- Range balls
- Access to range all day
- 9 holes on the New Course after lesson for 2 hours
- Buggy and range fee included
Tuition at the practice range followed by a 9 hole ‘playing lesson’ with the pro on the New Course.
Contact us to arrange a date and book your place with Garry.
Even if you don’t take a lesson from him, you can benefit from Garry’s tips for playing the New Course. Take a look at them here
Practice Facilities and Clubhouse
- San Roque Club quality practice facilities include a two-tiered covered driving range with practice areas, putting greens, pitching area and practice bunkers.
- Club, buggy and trolley rental are available.
- Clubhouse offers a fully stocked pro shop and locker rooms, along with bar and restaurant facilities for indoor and al fresco dining on the terrace.
Just fill in the enquiry form and let me put your itinerary together, along with your accommodation and transportation; leaving you to relax and look forward to a golf break of the highest quality in this prestigious area of Sotogrande on the Costa del Sol.